Friday, October 22, 2010

An Official Bike Rider

Eli has been dabbling in the area of riding a bike without his gyro-wheel for some time, but he'd skip so much time in between 'practice sessions' that it would be like starting over each time. However, it is just in the last week that he's really taken the bull by the horns and gone for it. Usually he'll ask Lehr or I for a push and then, unsteadily, pedals for a few feet before putting a foot down or turning intentionally into the grass. Last weekend he finally started going longer distances. And he really enjoyed it! But he was still asking for help pushing off.

So this week we had a friend over one day to ride bikes and scooters. Eli mounted his two-wheeler and asked me for a push. I told him I'd push him from the street into the neighbor's (FLAT!!) driveway, and then he could push himself from the garage back to me. So I push him and expect some issues, but a few minutes later, he came riding towards me, shrieking, "MOMMY...LOOK!!!" I couldn't believe it. He had stopped, turned himself around and started again, all on his own. Eli repeated the solo start several times before we ended the day, and then showed Lehr when he got home from work. I think we've finally turned a corner on this!

No comments: