Friday, October 01, 2010

Compassion

My girl has it. In every fiber of her being. Even when she is distracted by toys. Even when she is distracted by friends. Even when she is distracted by her own injury or pain. Maddux has more compassion for others in her little finger than I probably have in my whole body.

She has always been the first kid to ask 'what's wrong' when she hears someone crying, but lately Maddux has really stepped it up, even for her. I consistently get reports from school that she is amazing with her classmates, taking care of them when they are sad that their mommy left, or comforting them when they crying because they don't get to play with a toy. Today I picked her up in the car pool line and her teacher said, "GREAT day!" She then went on to tell me that Maddux is so sympathetic to the other children. Specifically that day, Maddux rushed to the teachers when a girl from another class was 'stuck' on a playground apparatus. Apparently Maddux tried to help her when she called out, but couldn't, so she ran for help. They love her for her 'gift', and I love them for that!

This week I took the kids downtown after Eli got home from school. As he often does at that time of day, Eli started snoring just ten minutes into our drive. Maddux wiggled and wiggled in the backseat until she could reach over to stroke his head while he slept, just like I do to both of them when they're sleepy. She was so focused on reaching over to him...amazing. She's also done the same thing to me a few times when I've nodded off on the couch with her before Eli comes home. I wake up to her fingers in my hair. Love it!

No comments: