Saturday, April 24, 2010

NOLA Jazz Fest 2010 - Day 2

Before we drove to Jazz Fest today, we met some friends for breakfast. "Uncle Catfish" (and his wife "Mrs. Catfish) met us at a fun neighborhood spot. The kids had a blast hanging out and being silly with the names we call them. We got a tour of their new house and both kids were totally awestruck by their powder room downstairs: blue walls, blue sink, blue lights.

So today was a perfect example of something the other side of 'shoulda/coulda/woulda'. It shoulda rained all day. The tornados coulda come through and ruined Jazz Fest for everyone today. We woulda been sad, oh-so-sad. But instead we were incredibly lucky with the weather. We arrived before the gates opened to find very windy conditions. As long as you didn't take any dust directly in the eyes, it was ok. Once again, we camped out at Gentilly. We were convinced we would be at fest for only a few shows, so we decided to head back to our great location again and enjoy while we could. (I don't think I mentioned the location: RIGHT next to long long lines of porta potties with no wait and perfect views of the stage.)

The main event for us was Bonerama, with their four trombones and awesome New Orleans sound. Eli and Maddux loved them, recognizing a song or two during the set. More food was consumed, more dancing occurred, and lots of air drumming took place. After 'lunch', we granted the kids their coveted Mango Freeze. After we let them share one last year, they've been obsessed. It doesn't help that we have this picture hung in Maddux's room, so they are reminded of it every day. (Maddie often tells me, "I want to go there again, Mommy. To Mango Freeze.") Long story short, all we heard on the car ride down here was Eli telling us, "I want to share Mango Freeze with Maddie again, Mommy. I will hold it and share nicely with her." Sure enough, he did a great job. They sat next to each other and Eli did his best to divvy up the sweet treat between them. At one point I noticed the small bites he was giving both of them. Eli assured me, "I don't want to give her too much cuz she'll get a brain freeze."

Sometime after that, Maddux was wearing thin, so I threw her in the BOB and took her for a stroll, convinced she'd pass out. She did: first sitting up and slumped over and then finally against the back of her seat. I got to see some Cowboy Mouth while we walked and she got to recharge in time for more craw fish and Overly boy interaction. She and Russell hit it off quite well, sitting on each other's laps and running around. He was so sweet with her...she's a lucky girl to have such nice boys to look out for her!

Bathrooms were the theme of the day with both kids going about twelve times each. It was noticeably warmer today (but still not bad), and that meant more water consumption. How, I'm not sure, because Maddux drank so much yesterday you'd think she'd float away.... Anyway, for one trip, Eli told me, "I won't touch anything inside, Mommy, because it's disgusting." (I let him go in the porta potty by himself - I just stood outside of the door.)

On our way back to the car we were treated to a street concert. This is so common around fest, but it was the first one the kids had seen. They were both wide-eyed and silent. Neither would dance with me, but Eli talked about it a few times on the way home.

No comments: