Monday, October 19, 2009

You Can't Handle The Truth

I can't. I'm very aware of that. And the truth is, these kids hear EVERYTHING I say. I'm not worried that they'll hear me swear or use grossly inappropriate language, as I'm actually pretty good about being "PC" when they're in earshot, but as far as general conversational skills go, I'm horrible. I have a hard time articulating what I want to say, and I often start a sentence, or paragraph, and wander off somewhere in the middle. Not so good for two sets of ears that absorb all they see and hear from Mommy. The good news is, they also pick up some of the semi-good words and phrases I use with them. (I don't use the word 'hate', and I try my best to never say 'be good', instead asking them to make 'good choices'.)

Today this 'truth' was pointed out to me by Eli's recap of an event that happened the other night after Lehr and I got home. The kids were in the laundry room with Lehr, playing drums. Apparently Maddux used a drum stick to hit Eli in the head. Nothing new there. Of course that meant she lost her drumming privileges. This morning Eli told me, "Last night Maddux lost the opportunity to play drums." So funny coming from his little mouth. I've used that phrase a few times with them recently though. When Eli loses the opportunity to make a choice about what to wear, or when Maddux loses the opportunity to walk in the parking lot while holding my hand (instead of me carrying her). I guess the moral of the story is, think about what you say before you say it!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I use the term "make good choices" also. Sounds SO much better.