Monday, September 19, 2005

First "Bath"

Eli moved up on the food chain today; instead of his normal 'wipe down' of a sponge bath, I put him on a towel in the bathtub and poured water over him, providing more of a 'shower' atmosphere. Due to his casts, we can't give him a real bath yet, so I improvised by putting plastic bags over his casts first (this is how my parents bathed me when I had a cast as an infant). He didn't fuss at all, so I assume he enjoyed it.

HIP HIP HORRAY!!! Eli finally fell asleep completely on his own today! After his 'bath', we went through our usual calm-down period before his nap. As usual, Eli was fighting sleep. I finally had him in the crib, crying of course, and was standing over top of him trying to soothe him. Nothing was working, so I stepped out of the room for a few minutes, in an effort to make him calm down as soon as I returned... After 3 or 4 minutes, he was silent. Of course I ran into the room to make sure he was ok, and he was sleeping!! He must have figured out that he has to calm himself down sometimes: CHECK OUT THE BIG BRAINS ON ELI! (I had the same result at a later nap time today also, so I don't think it was just a fluke.)

Last but not least, Eli had his first bottle tonight. It won't be an every day occurrence, but I did want to give Lehr the opportunity to share in the nourishment of our child from time to time. Eli didn't miss a beat; he took the bottle like a champ.

No comments: