Wednesday, November 01, 2017

She is a Gem

Totally amazed by the oh-so strong sight word game Ruby is bringing these days.

Last week Ruby and I started working on sight words again. We did it pretty solidly through the spring and summer and we had about a dozen words that she was fairly consistent on knowing. As often happens with us, we got sidetracked with other therapy tools and practices and we haven't picked up the cards since August. Rather than go back to the original set, I pulled out some new cards/words (actually old - we used them for speech while we were in the hospital). After only two times of working on them, Ruby had a really good success rate (check out the video).


So fast-forward to yesterday when I was making Ruby's lunch. She was being a little impatient so I told her to get her chair and sit at the table to wait. She obeyed (which surprised me, by the way, since she doesn't tend to do that these days) and then fished around in the basket I keep on the table with therapy stuff. She pulled out the old cards (from spring/summer) and proceeded to correctly tell me half of them.

WHAAAAT?

We haven't touched those cards in over two months. One of the biggest struggles I have in working with Ruby on these things is how hard it seems for things to 'stick' with her unless we drill it daily. Literally daily. She very much proved me wrong...

No comments: