Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Lunch Dates

Ruby and I got to have lunch with the kids on Monday. We haven't been able to make it to the school for lunch since the holidays; between snow days and doctors' appointments and therapy, we've been busy! I loved sitting between them at the lunch table. They were both so excited and surprised to see Ruby and I.....it was a good reminder that I need to be more intentional with lunch dates. Mondays are the best time because both kids are in Target that day and their lunchtimes overlap. (Other days their lunchtimes are more than an hour apart!)

Fast forward to this evening. The kids and Lehr were chatting during a card game. Maddux asked Lehr when he could come to school for lunch...he asked if lots of other mommies and daddies came. She said 'yes' and then Eli interjected that I'd been there once this week. They talked for a minute about how Mommy used to come to Eli's lunch with Maddux a long time ago. Maddux told Lehr how I'd timed my entry perfectly so that I was walking out of the office just as her class walked into the lunchroom (instead of me getting there early and waiting on the front bench). Lehr asked if they liked it when I came. They both said 'yes', and then Eli added, "Every day when I go to lunch I hope that I'll see Mommy sitting on that bench."

Melt. My. Heart.
It was a good reminder that I need to slow down and enjoy these moments with my little man. I get so focused on my worry that Eli is growing up so quickly that sometime I forget to notice all of the areas that he's reminding me how 'little' he still is.

No comments: