Friday, July 27, 2012

Glimpses of Love

I've mentioned before some frustration Lehr and I have had over Eli's seeming ambivalence towards his sister and in response to her never ending acts of kindness for him. He has come very far in this department, but we still pray that one day he'll be more spontaneous in his love for her, rather than being prompted by us.

Today, in a span of less than four hours I witnessed two awesome displays, both originating 100% from Eli (no guidance or initiation from me).
  1. While at Eli's camp 'show and tell' day, Eli's group was playing a game of whiffle ball. Maddux mentioned she wanted to have a chance at bat, but she was being pretty shy about it and standing back with me. Eli overheard this and made sure that she got a chance to bat before anyone else batted twice. That meant he had to stop his best friend from taking a turn, and I saw him standing up to the other kids quite assertively, reminding them, "It's my sister's turn now - step back." Seeing him sticking up for her so passionately was awesome because it's something that we have never (and I DO mean never) seen him do around other kids, let alone his friends. 
  2. As the kids were playing outside, I told them it was time to come in. Eli obeyed right away while Maddux chose to ignore me and play outside for close to five minutes longer. As Eli and I were inside waiting for her, the skies opened and poured rain. Eli ran upstairs. Maddux ran towards the house, hysterical. (Yes, I was chuckling to myself...gotta love those natural consequences.) Eli returned before Maddux made it into the house (she was a ways away); in his hands he had a dry set of clothing. He told me, "She's going to need some dry stuff to change into." After I picked my jaw up off of the floor, I thanked him and praised him and he returned upstairs to play legos. This is absolutely something Maddux would do for Eli, but I would have never imagined him to think of it, let alone go into her room and choose an outfit for her as she disobeyed. (Remember, he is a rule-keeper, so it really bothers him when people disobey or don't follow the rules.)

No comments: