Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Beach Conversations

Wow. Love love love the 'quiet' time on the beach with my kids where they just open their hearts and minds and don't hold back. Especially Eli. Maddux is an open book 8 out of 7 days a week, but Eli is a little more guarded sometimes. This week he and I have had a few great conversations already....so so loving this!

Yesterday we were sitting on the towels together, as his feet were a bit sore, and he was allowing me to snuggle him a little. The wind was blowing and body warmth made everything right with the world. I nuzzled Eli's ear a little and told him how much I loved hanging out with him at the beach without photo shoots and boot camp and school and baseball to distract us. We talked about how we love those things in our lives, but it's fun to just 'be' sometimes too. Then I told him how excited I was that, at that moment, God was growing up a wife for him: someone who was kind and encouraging, fun and confident, and someone who would respect and love Eli over any others. He was intrigued by this, even though we'd talked about it before. He asked a few quick questions and then dropped the subject. This morning he said to me, "Mommy, wouldn't it be funny if she was growing up and she was 4?" It took me a minute, but I realized what he was talking about and agreed. "Then she would be the same as you and Daddy, cuz I'm 5 and she'd be one less."

We also had a conversation over lunch about God. Eli asked why God made guns, except for wars. (For some reason, he knows/thinks that guns and whatnot are ok when you're defending a country.) He asked about why God made criminals too. I did my best to explain that God made everyone to be loving and kind, but since we all have the power of choice, some of us choose poor decisions. Criminals are people who made bad choices, but they can still ask for forgiveness and change their hearts. At the end of lunch, way after the conversation ended, Eli said, "God is good, huh. He made all of this food for us. That's cool."

Amen

No comments: