Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Alien Abduction

I am really really really hoping that is the explanation for Eli's outbursts. If not, I'm not sure what to do. At least if it's aliens, I KNOW there is nothing I can do....instead I pull my hair out trying new tactics every month or so with minimal success.

If you know Eli, you know he likes to smile. He is a happy kid. BUT, when the wind changes directions and it is NOT in his favor, he is a very different child. He will be so fine, so happy, so....normal. Then something will hit him the wrong way and his tone changes, his demeanor changes and he is 100% negative. If some redirection or (gasp!) consequence takes place during that time, hold on to your hats. Yelling, name-calling, swinging fists (a new one), and much stomping follows. And then, once he's had a sufficiently calming time out, as quickly as the spell began, it's gone.

We talk about it during calmer times, and Eli totally acknowledges that it is not right, and in fact very WRONG to treat people that way, especially those who love you, but in the moment he always resorts to craziness. We have been 2-steps-forward-1-step-back for so long now, I almost don't remember what it's like to not bite my tongue so hard it bleeds....

No comments: