Friday, July 03, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mad Dog!!

Two Years Old. How did that happen? It seems like only yesterday that you were still in my belly, kicking up a storm. I remember the day you were born: Eli came into the hospital room and was not at all sure about your entrance into the family. And now the two of you are best friends. The first thing you do when you get out of your crib in the morning is high-tail it to Eli's room. And if Eli takes a trip to the store with Daddy, you call "E-I?" the whole time he is gone. I love that you and your brother have such a strong bond.

Maddux, you make my days so interesting and you keep me on my toes. Never before have I had a hard time keeping a straight face while disciplining. But you are so audacious and so cute (and you know it) that keeping you in line has proven to be difficult. You act like a clown and an SNL character in everything you do, which makes everyone laugh right along with you.

Speaking of that laugh, you love to laugh. You love to giggle. And all is right in the world when I hear those sounds come from you. You beg to be tickled and you perform to make yourself laugh. In recent weeks you've also taken to singing along to music. But when you're sleepy, you sing to yourself. It's just about the cutest thing I've ever seen.

You already know how to swim at least as well as your brother and most of it is because you taught yourself. You are fearless around the water in a very good way. And even when you're not at the pool, you're jumping off of ledges and curbs and chairs, just practicing your diving board skills.

Your favorite thing to do STILL is to take a stack of books to your rocking chair and flip through them. I've asked you to go to your room to read while I put Eli down for a nap, and in the past week you have done just that, for at least five minutes! It brings a smile to my face to turn the corner and see you sitting so quietly, totally engrossed in your books.

Today, as we celebrate the day you made us a family of four, I try to imagine life before you and it's difficult. You demand to be noticed just by who you are. You brighten all of our days and we love you to pieces. Happy Birthday, baby girl.



Two Years

3 comments:

hillary said...

Maddux,

I cannot believe you are 2 years old already! You are such a big girl now.

I remember when your mommy, daddy and Eli were anxiously awaiting your arrival and the excitement that was felt by all when you were born. Your family, and friends of your family (most of which you have never met) get weekly if not daily updates on you and your brother's lives.

You are so blessed to have such a loving mommy, daddy and big brother as well as your extended family and friends. You are a pure joy to be around and just so darn adorable in all of your photos and videos. You bring joy to everyone and I always get a big smile on my face while reading about your daily adventures.

I wish you a very Happy Birthday and Many, many more blessed days throughout the year!

Courtney said...

She's such a beautiful little girl, Nicole. So happy for you guys!

Ann said...

I just love that girl!! Happy Birthday Maddux!!! Logan and Cooper are so blessed to have you as their friend!!