Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

What a weekend! I guess the crazy busy-ness of July 4th weekend is something we'll experience for years to come. With Maddie's birthday the day before, the whole week gets nuts!

As usual for the holiday, I woke up early to ride the train downtown for the Peachtree Road Race. Lehr woke up the kids only slightly later to come down and watch. This was the first year he didn't need a stroller!! The fam (and "D", who IS fam) camped out in front of the High and cheered me along as a friend and I passed by. Lehr caught it all on video and Eli seemed confused when I left. ("Why is she still running, Daddy?") We then met up after the race to grab some breakfast.

2009 07 race on Vimeo.



Upon returning to the house, my sickness from the early morning caught back up with me and I was down for the count. I napped on and off as the kids slept. We had plans to meet our small group for dinner and fireworks, but after trying to do anything other than lie on the ground for a few hours, it was obvious I wasn't going to make it. I was REALLY bummed because, in addition to the rest of the fun, I had been looking so forward to experiencing the fireworks with the kids. We planned on sparklers and everything.... Around 8:15 I started to get ready to meet them, but felt sick again. Luckily it passed and I was able to pull into the park just before the show began. Eli loved the sparklers...he and his friends all stood very far apart and had a blast. Maddux watched, but I wasn't ready to let her hold a fire stick just yet. The fireworks held her attention for about five minutes, but after that she was all over the place (of course). Eli enjoyed them, but he really wanted to get back to playing baseball. What can I say....

Maddie did wear her red, white and blue tutu, but I didn't get any photos, for reasons already mentioned.

No comments: