Tuesday, February 24, 2009

First Soccer Practice

Eli had his first soccer practice tonight. All day long he was oh-so excited. He wore his soccer jersey shirt and track pants in preparation, and he reminded me every chance he got that "Daddy" is really "Coach". Lehr told him a few weeks ago that when they are on the field, he is to call Lehr "Coach" only. There will be no special treatment out there. So anytime I'd say "Daddy" today, Eli would repeat what I said, inserting 'Coach' for 'Daddy'. Example: "I'm making a sandwich for Daddy because he won't get to eat before practice." translated to "Ohhhhh...you're making a sandwich for Coach?"

Eli loaded the car with his soccer ball, cleats, shin pads, and soccer socks. We arrived at the field just as Lehr was setting up. As soon as Eli saw him, he took off, saying, "Dere's my COACH!!" Tyler showed up quickly afterwards and the two boys had a great time kicking the ball around the field. They were both so focused - it was neat to watch!!

Maddie loved getting in on the action too. She chased after the boys (and the other kids that showed up) and kicked the ball any chance she got. The practice lasted one hour and I was amazed that all of the kids lasted the whole time, paying pretty good attention to Lehr and the other coach. They did a quick warm-up with a few laps around the field. (Eli passed me and said, "Look, Mom. I'm da caboose!!") Then they did some balancing work with the ball and lifting one leg, and then they went into some drills and scrimmage. I think the neatest thing for me was seeing how focused Eli was on playing with the other kids and listening to instruction. He never ran to Lehr looking for reassurance, he never cried when someone else had the ball, he never stopped playing because he fell or got hurt....I was so proud of my determined little boy! If tonight was any indication, he has a great work ethic! The only downside to the evening was when Lehr kicked the ball back into the field and caught Ty's chest with the ball. Tyler was tough though...he barely shed a tear.

2 comments:

JEN said...

i love love love this pic of Eli and Ty-so precious!

bev said...

I can't wait for Andrew's first practice! This sounds so exciting. I love the pictures too. Eli and his friend are adorable!