Monday, February 09, 2009

Donation Corner: My Stuff Bags

A few weeks back, a friend pointed me to a blog that has consumed my time and my heart since I read the first post. Matt lost his wife the day after their daughter was born, leaving him to deal with grief and joy, both at once. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows. I have not read in his words that he is a believer; personally I have no idea how he has managed to care for his daughter in the amazing way he has without faith. That task seems next to impossible for me... I don't know that it was God's will for Liz to leave this earth so quickly after her daughter was born, but I do believe that God can turn any situation around to have a profound and positive impact. While I'm sure most people would agree that it might have been best for everyone if Madeline would have been able to grow up with both parents alive and present in her life on earth, I think that the relationship between Matt and Madeline will be better and closer than ever possible had things gone another way last March. Through the tears, Matt seems to have become this awesome "Mr. Mom" who has done all he can to make sure his daughter knows she is loved and cared for every second of the day. (I urge you to read the blog, but keep Kleenex nearby because it is real, it is raw, and it is heart-wrenching.)

One of the things Matt has done to help others in hard situations is support My Stuff Bags Foundation. So many children in our country need to be rescued from dangerous home environments: more than 300,000 each year! These kids often have to leave home quickly, without a chance to pack their belongings. As they make that scary transition from their home to foster care, My Stuff Bags hopes to put a My Stuff bag into every child in this situation.

Now is the part where I tell you how you can help. Obviously, money donations are accepted. You can also collect or buy toys or books for these kids and send them to the foundation. Some items they need are stuffed animals, coloring books, small toiletries, small photo albums, rattles, school supplies, books, hats, and toys. Handmade crafts are always a nice touch also. If you want to make a cuddly (and easy!!) blanket, here are the directions. And finally, if you live in SoCal, you can volunteer your time.

2 comments:

The Mommy Salami said...

I love Matt's blog. I have been reading it for a while now, a few weeks after Liz died actually. He amazes me all the time. Madeline is a very lucky little girl, inspite of everything that has happened.

Thanks for sharing the link to My Stuff Bags, I am gonna check it out now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link to My Stuff Bags I'm gonna check it out :)
Def need tissues for that blog thanks for sharing
Becky