Saturday, October 08, 2005

Epiphany

Another busy few days: Eli went to the Scottish Rite/Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Day Surgery center on Thursday for a pre-op meeting with a nurse from anesthesiology. It didn't take long; they just wanted to get some of his stats in their records before the surgery. Friday afternoon we met Carissa and Cooper for lunch; Eli and Cooper hung out, but I still think they are completely unaware the other is present. We did get some cute pictures nonetheless.

Today was a pretty low-key day, but Eli went down for all of his naps almost completely on his own (and he didn't even have his usual I'm-going-to-throw-a-fit-and-there-is-nothing-you-can-do-about-it period from 5-7). He gave his Dad lots of smiles, much to Lehr's delight, and he is still 'talking' up a storm.

On a related note, I am deliriously happy. Why didn't anyone tell me that having a baby would be so neat?!?! Sure, everyone told me how much it would change my life, but they seemed to focus more on the sleep deprivation and lack of personal time. I thought when they said nothing would be the same that I would no longer to be able to hike, or to listen to my music loudly, or to live my life in general. With a few small exceptions, I'm still able to do all of the things I did before Eli; there is no longer any downtime, but in a really good way. (A few times I have actually been tempted to wake him from his nap just so I could spend more time with him!) I totally understand now why some people opt to have their babies sleep in bed with them each night, and I can see how you could get into the habit of rocking them to sleep before naps and bedtime, too. Most of the time I have force myself to put him down because I know he needs unassisted sleep (even though I don't want to stop holding him). This has honestly been the most surprising, amazing experience ever. Knowing my structured, by-the-book self, I expected there would be a huge transition period, possibly overlapped by some baby blues. But from day one I've been unexpectedly not overwhelmed or freaked out. Eli has made it really easy for me to enjoy this new 'job'. When we get up in the morning, Lehr often asks me what time Eli woke me up to eat (he's *usually* only up once during the night). After I answer him with 3am or 4am, he typically shakes his head (in appreciation) and says that he doesn't know how I do it. My only response is that I don't even think twice about it; I wouldn't have it any other way. And even though Lehr doesn't get up with me in the middle of the night (my choice, not his), he is totally committed to caring for Eli as much as he can. I was also 'warned' about husbands not pitching in enough. That couldn't be further from the truth where Lehr is concerned; he wants to be involved in every way possible. I can't even say he 'helps out', because it's so much more than that. Seeing him spend time with Eli makes me appreciate what a wonderful husband he is again and again.

I know people tell you that you'll love your children more than you ever thought possible, but again, I didn't fully understand that until Eli was born. This revelation didn't hit me right away though. Sure, from the beginning I thought he was cute. I was even excited (and astonished) that the hospital staff let me take him home. However, it wasn't until about a week later when I was feeding him that it really hit me: I would do anything for this little guy! Long story short: I have an amazing son and a phenomenal husband and I couldn't be happier. Alright...enough sappy rambling....

No comments: