Monday, November 11, 2019

Hi!

Ruby says "hi" to everyone she sees.

Seriously, EVERYone.
This happens as we walk from her school to our car, when we shop through Publix, even when we are driving and stop at a red light. (Seriously.) And she will pursue the people she is trying to connect with relentlessly until they meet her eyes and reciprocate. Hi. Hi. Hi! HHHIIII!

Because I'm not blessed with 47 chromosomes and because I'm a typical cynical person, too often I find myself trying to rush her through this process, especially when the subject does not appear to be receptive. I feel like I should apologize for Ruby overstepping or interrupting.
But that's just dumb. Because when she makes the connection, which is more times than not, the person on the receiving end of her greeting lights up in a huge smile and sometimes even engages back to her with a comment or question.
That often leads Ruby to grab/hold their hand, give a hug, or physically 'love' them in some way too. And they appear to be delighted by the interruption, glad for the overstepping. And who wouldn't? Life is hard and we too often find ourselves putting our heads down and just trying to push through. It's nice to have a reason to stop and look up.
And then I read this post from Heather Avis a few weeks ago. Love it, and she penned it better than I could hope to, so go read her take on this same phenomenon.
At the end of the day, this I know: our family hugs way more because of ruby. We say 'I love you' way more because of ruby. We look into each other's eyes way more because of ruby. She leads the way in connecting with each other and we are so lucky to follow along.

No comments: