Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Siblings

Many times I have commented on how much I LOVE the phase Eli and Maddux are in, as siblings. For so long (so it seemed), Eli wouldn't give Maddux the time of day, and sibling playtime was non-existent. Not only do they play together now, but they really seem to enjoy each other's company and Eli even seeks Maddux out!

Recently we had a great weekend example of this. Saturday mornings usually find Eli waking around 7AM because his internal clock is used to getting up at 6AM for school. He and Maddux will sometimes play together or come and 'bug' Lehr and I to get out of bed. One particularly awesome morning, Maddux later told me that she woke up (around 7:30) to find Eli lying in her bed with her, kinda snoozing. He was waiting for her to wake up and play. (BTW - on this particular day, he did NOT come to our room first.)

One afternoon before our small group came to visit, I gave the kids the task of tackling the secret room for a solid five-minute clean-up effort. I expected much moaning and groaning from Eli, but instead, I heard him divvying up the work: "Maddux, you do the front part and I'll work on the back." It was really cool to hear them talking it out and working together.

In the same week, I was getting dinner ready and told the kids to go out front and start playing, and I'd join them in five minutes. As they were getting shoes on in the mudroom, I watched them negotiate what they wanted to do.
  • Maddux - "Should we do the same as yesterday where you throw the ball to me and I'll throw it to you?"
  • Eli - "Yes, but we need to work on grounders and pop-ups."
  • Maddux - "OK, so you throw me a grounder and I'll throw you a pop-up. Like 'grounder, pop-up, grounder'?"
  • Eli - "Exactly"
I couldn't smile any more if I tried.

No comments: