Wednesday, March 02, 2011

The Topic Of Marriage

NO clue how it came up, but one day last week the kids and I were enjoying a lazy breakfast, thanks to our Winter Break from school. Either Eli or I said something about being married, and Maddux chimed in, "Yeah...married. (Pause) Mom, what's 'marry'?"

I wasn't really sure how to define it in 3-year old terms, but I basically told them both (even though Eli didn't ask, I know he didn't really know either) that being married means you promise to love and have a family with another person, for the rest of your life. I tried to cover topics that have been in our house lately such as always being kind, always working together, and always thinking about the other person first.

So that moved us to who the kids would marry. I told them it would be a long time until they got married, but God was growing up a person for each of them to marry. Maddux wanted to know where she would live in our house; I told her that when you're married you move away from your Mommy and Daddy and live with your husband or wife and maybe kids. Eli asked if Maddux would move with him when he got married. I told him that she could maybe move to the same street, but she would probably live in a house with her husband, not actually with Eli. He thought on that for several moments. Then he grinned and whispered, "Mommy, I'm gonna marry Bekah." So cute. He then told Maddux that she needed to marry Titus (Bekah's brother and Eli's friend), but Maddux stood firm that she wanted to marry Owen. Such a funny conversation to have with a three and five-year old!

No comments: