Monday, September 20, 2010

Perfect Day

Today was the first day of fall break. Just me and the kids and no plans. I decided to have a 'date day' with them which included bowling, lunch, and anywhere else the day took us. Eli and Maddux were SO excited. Especially Eli. I think he's missing the day-to-day fun we had all summer.

We arrived at the bowling ally to find it next to empty. The kids had a blast playing a full game....they both did really well (even though the bumpers helped). Maddux didn't bowl in any lanes other than ours, and Eli only stepped over the foul line six times. They were both a little sad when we left, but I let them split my last frame and that seemed to make things all better. Maddux was acting a little sleepy, but nothing major. Eli suggested the Biscuit for lunch, and even though it is all of the way downtown, I totally obliged. It is date day, after all.

We were seated next to the huge open windows right away. The kids happily colored while I ordered. In the meantime Lehr texted us and walked over from his office. Maddux put her head on the table as soon as the food arrived. She felt fine (temp-wise), but was complaining about being sleepy. She never ate a thing, though Eli cleared his plate and cut his chicken sausage very well by himself. Lehr showed up just as we payed the check. He sat and hung with the kids for a minute before Maddux laid her head back down on my lap. We started to leave and then Maddux started to cry. She grabbed her stomach and wailed in pain. I suspected what was to come next so I tried to lift her onto the street quickly. I only half made it before she threw up. Several times. Luckily most of it went outside of the restaurant, but still not something you want to have happen. We cleaned her up as best we could (the wait staff was so nice), but she had to be stripped down to her shorts. By this time she was fine, and even giggling when I was wiping her down, due to ticklish spots. A bigger tip later, we walked back to the car. We quickly dropped Lehr off to work and headed home to bathe Maddie and put her down for a nap.

Eli was being so cooperative and obedient that I didn't even suggest some room time during naps today. He is right now sitting next to me working on a picture he started drawing at the restaurant. Every few minutes we'll engage in conversation and then we'll each go back to our respective work. My heart is overflowing today.

No comments: