Monday, November 12, 2018

IEP

Those three letters carry so many feelings with them, and they are all over the map: dread, anxiety, hope, fear, defensiveness, (over)protection, anxiety, pride...did I mention anxiety? The lead-up for them has been so anxiety-inducing for me that I actually had an 'episode' during one a few years ago. It was an IEP (Individualized Education Plan/Program) called by us after Ruby was (wrongfully, IMO) denied qualification for the Special Needs Pre-K. We worked for six months to prove that she needed to be in there, so that meeting was one I was especially nervous about, as I thought we might have to continue the fight. We didn't - Ruby was given correct placement, but not before I felt like I was about to pass out and had to excuse myself from the meeting for 10 minutes to get fresh air slumped against the building outside of the school.

I know...sooo professional!

Today's IEP was scary for me because it was the first one since she entered the elementary school. With real report cards and typical classrooms and all kinds of areas where Ruby needs help. The year has not been going perfectly, and that definitely caused me some anxiety when it comes to what her team might suggest for placement going forward. She started the year in the inclusion class (typical kids, about 4 of them have IEPs), with only one segment of pull-out services (this is considered a big win for a child with Down syndrome in our county). One of my many fears was that they would suggest that she be pulled out more often, or (even scarier for me at this time), that she be in a different classroom altogether. For the last month I have been meeting with friends who have gone before me, acquaintances online who are in the know, peers who have insight, therapists who know Ruby - all in preparation for this meeting. I've been over and through everything from what we think her placement should be for her to be successful, to what is legally required, to what is actually realistic, and everything in between. I've said it before: it feels like I'm cramming for a semester exam, but I'm not sure of the specific class I'll be tested on. When I went into this meeting today, I wasn't sure what they planned to recommend for Ruby, which means I didn't know what kind of defense, or offense, I needed to pull out.

The good GREAT news is, it went well. Very well. There were three extra attendees in the meeting, all either county level or school administrators, and those three brought a lot to the table. So much so, in fact, that I had a looong list of things I wanted to discuss and point out, and one by one, members of the team (many times two of the three) brought them up before I had a chance, and presented them in our favor. It was as if they were my advocates and had already seen my notes.

So, the battle is not over. There is much hard work still ahead, for Ruby, for the team and teachers, and for us, but there will be some new supports in place that should help her achieve more success. But more importantly - no, MOST importantly - today gave us a glimpse of at least two 'new' people that see Ruby. Truly see her, and are in her corner. That is what I want. That is what we have with some of our therapists, that is what we had with her Pre-K teacher(s), that is what makes all of the difference, in my opinion. People in her corner give us hope. People in her corner see her potential and work harder to help her achieve it. People in her corner are God's way of giving me renewed strength in my advocacy for Ruby. So as far as I'm concerned, today was a rainbow!

No comments: