Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Maturity

I'm not sure when it happened, but there has been a definite shift in Eli's maturity. For the better.

It's the little things that I noticed first. He'd be up later than normal and NOT have a meltdown. We would have a day of errands or other not-fun stuff and things wouldn't necessarily go his way, yet he was able to express his frustration without totally losing it. I realize I just called those occurrences "little", when they are really big for us, however, when they are not meltdowns, they aren't so big.

This week I've noticed some bigger things. Eli and Maddux have definitely made strides in their sibling relationship in the last year or so, but lately Eli has taken even more an interest in his sister. Two specific events come to mind.

  • Maddux made a paper plate craft at church on Sunday. Later that day, Eli walked by the mudroom and saw it on the counter. He said, "Hey Maddux. What is this? Tell me about it..." Very cool, because it wasn't something that was particularly eye-catching; Eli was just trying to engage her.
  • Tonight Eli had a baseball game. I didn't know ahead of time, but Maddux drew a picture and put it into Eli's ball bag. After the first inning, Eli came out of the dugout to get his water bottle just as Maddux and I were walking by. He found the picture and said, "Hey Maddux...did you put this picture in my bag? Cool...Thanks!"
To say I'm excited about this new level of sibling relationship would be a huge understatement.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

It's those sweet moments that make the difficult ones easier to make it through.