Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ups & Downs (mine)

Today was great and horrible, all at once. This morning we lost power just as we were leaving the house to meet Cooper and his mom at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. I called Georgia Power immediately to report it (in case it was my fault for not paying a bill on time), and they assured me it was the entire neighborhood and they'd get right on it. Luckily I have a wonderful neighbor who came over to manually open my garage door for me (I'm too short and too pregnant), so at least Eli and I could get out of the house. Of course we hit crazy traffic and sat on the highway for about 20 extra minutes. But once there, we spent the morning at the gardens where the two boys played in the fountains for the majority of the time. They loved it! Eli thought it was like a big shower, I guess, because he kept running underneath to let the water cover his head and face and then he'd run out with a HUGE grin. It was beautiful weather and the garden was a great distraction from all of the boxes at the house.

When we returned home, however, there was still no power. This meant the temperature in the house, specifically upstairs where Eli's bedroom is located, was hot. Very hot. The poor kid had an awful time going down for a nap considering he had no fan, no air...nada. I called again at 2pm to check on the status and they assured me power would be restored at 3:30. You can guess that at 3:30 there was still no power, so I called again and this time I was told that they had no idea when power would be back up, and they didn't know why I'd been given a specific time before. The kicker was, this outage was planned, at least as told by one of the three reps I spoke with today. So why didn't I (or my neighbor) receive notice? And if it's planned, then surely you can tell me when it'll be back up, right? Whatever. Finally at 4:30 we got power (air conditioning, more importantly), but not before all of the food in my freezer and refrigerator went bad. Thank God for this morning!

2 comments:

Heather said...

SO fun! We went there with Logan and Chris last year. The boys had a ball in the water. It was kinda chilly though so they were the ONLY ones in there and many other people looked at us as if we were crazy for letting them in there. Oh well they had fun! Glad you got out of the house during the power outage. Can't believe they didn't let you know it was going to happen! The nerve!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Eli had so much fun. Love the bottom pic :)..That stinks about the power I can't believe they didn't notify anyone. CRAZY!! Hope you have a good weekend!!!